WASEDA ONLINE

RSS

The Japan News by The Yomiuri Shimbun

Home > Campus Now > Waseda rediscovery: New Year Issue (Jan.)

Campus Now

New Year Issue (Jan.)

Waseda rediscovery


Cover photo: Yoichi Sato (Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences)

cover story

The trunk which gave birth to the "Father of Earthquake Resistant Construction"

It expands by the click.

This trunk was treasured by Professor Tachu Naito (1886-1970), known for drawing up the structural design for the Okuma Memorial Auditorium and Tokyo Tower, during his exchange to America in 1917-1918.

His first trunk, from which he removed the inner partition board, was destroyed during his visits by rail to universities all over America.

This made him realize that the partition board works effectively against external pressure, and led to his invention of the "quake resistant wall."

The accuracy of that structural ideology was proven in the Great Kanto Earthquake when the former Industrial Bank of Japan headquarters survived unscathed.

The Tachu Naito Memorial Musuem (former Naito residence), is Japan's first reinforced concrete wall structure with no pillars, and was built as a model house after the Kanto temblor, paying attention to earthquake and fire resistance.

Starting with Professor Naito, many distinguished professors have taught at the Department of Architecture, the School of Science and Engineering, which has successively sent out human resources into the Japanese building industry, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2010, taking a new first step into the next century.