WASEDA ONLINE

RSS

The Japan News by The Yomiuri Shimbun

Home > Campus Now > Waseda rediscovery: Early Spring Issue (Mar.)

Campus Now

Early Spring Issue (Mar.)

Waseda rediscovery


Cover picture: Yoichi Sato (Visiting Associate Professor, Art and Architecture School)

cover story

Unexpected encounter with an abstract entity

At Toyama campus, where the Faculty of Letters, Arts and Sciences is located, there was once a large lecture room called 181.

It was built right next to the piloti of the first floor of the high-rise building (Building No. 33), which is also called the “United Nations building” based on its appearance and was facing the second research building (Building No.39).

In the small space where the side of the large lecture room and the high-rise Building No.33 bisect each other at right angles, there was a garden. This tile relief was at the end of the garden. (Later, it was moved to its current location).

In the architectural magazine of 1962, when the building for the School of Letters, Arts and Sciences was built, the wall was described as “the independent wall in the courtyard.” It was made by Mr. Shindo Tsuji, a sculptor from Tottori (1910 - 1981).

The building was designed by Dr. Togo Murano (graduated from School of Science and Engineering in 1918), who is the Honorary Doctor of Waseda University as well as Japan's leading architect. Murano highly valued Tsuji's talent, and he adapted Tsuji's work also for the internal wall decoration of the Yokohama city hall, which became Murano's representative work.

At Toyama campus, there are other art works such as relief works by Tsuji as well as mosaic and glass windows made by renowned artists.